Floodplain Meadows: find out the latest results, and can you help with this year's surveys?
Floodplain Meadows: find out the latest results, and can you help with this year's surveys? - UK and Ireland : [upload-images-fmplogo_140.png] The Floodplain Me
The Floodplain Meadows Partnership would like to invite you to our winter workshops to talk about the findings from the fritillary counting and the bumblebee surveys in 2014. It is proving very exciting to see three different sites’ year on year data and compare them. We would very much like to share the findings with you, answer your questions, hear your suggestions and to thank you those who helped carry out the work.
There will be two workshops this year, and as a special point of interest, Richard Comont from the Bumble Bee Conservation Trust has agreed to come again and share with us the national perspective in terms of bumble bee populations and the Bee Walk project at the Wiltshire workshop.
The Herefordshire workshop is kindly being hosted this year by the Ledbury Naturalists’ and as a special point of interest will also cover the wider perspective of the Lugg Meadows with the Herefordshire Nature Trust talking about the history and natural history of the Lugg Meadows. This will be as well as us reporting on the results we have found from the fritillary counts and the bumble bee surveys.
The details for the workshops are:
- Date: Friday 20th Feb 2015
- Time: 7.30 pm
- Location: Burgage Hall, Ledbury
- Directions: The Burgage Hall is opposite the Prince of Wales Pub in Church Lane, HR8 1DW
- Date: Wednesday 25th Feb 2015
- Time: 6.30 pm – 8.00 pm
- Location: United Church Hall, Cricklade
- Directions: Coming on the A419 from North or South, take B4040 (direction Malmesbury). Go straight ahead at the mini-roundabout into Cricklade. The Church is 500m down on the right hand side opposite Prior Park Prep School. See map link (If there are no parking spaces outside the church or in the High St, there is a large car park to the rear of Tesco)
The invitation list is not restricted, so please pass this on to anyone you think would be interested. However, please contact us to let us know you are coming, so we can plan refreshments and ensure we have space.
Fritillary Counting 2015
This year the dates for fritillary counting are
- Lugg Meadows: 18th April (combined with Herefordshire Nature Trust Family Fritillary Day)
- Clattinger Farm: 19th April
- North Meadow: 23rd April
Please let us know if you want to come and we will put you on the list. New volunteers always welcome. More details nearer the time.
Bumble Bee Surveys
We will also be running the monthly bee surveys again, and again are keen for more volunteers. These groups are friendly and an excellent way to increase your bee ID skills. Please get in touch if you would like to join in. I shall be contacting bee surveyors with proposed survey dates after the workshops.
To find out more please contact Emma Rothero at the Floodplain Meadows Partnership.
Photo by Mike Dodd