Help Needed with Dictionary Update
Help Needed with Dictionary Update - Southern Africa : We are busy with a major dictionary update, and would appreciate help. The following groups are ready for comment: * Amphibians v1 * Birds v1 * Fish v1 * Mammals v1 * Reptiles v1 We need the following please:
We are busy with a major dictionary update, and would appreciate help.
The following groups are ready for comment:
* Amphibians v1
* Birds v1
* Fish v1
* Mammals v1
* Reptiles v1
We need the following please:
Common Names: Language field updated; New Names, corrections
* Note our philosophy: Proper names, we are documenting use (even if deemed "wrong" by some groups) and not being prescriptive.
* Note 2: We esp need help with assigning languages to the names. English, Afrikaans, German and our indigenous languages.
Synonyms: any missing or wrongly allocated old names.
These include misspellings in the literature, and nomena nuda for undescribed species.
* Note: Generic and Family Common names are not listed here. Request these separately if you are interested.'
Taxonomy Tree: check that the tree is current.
* Note 1: in the database each link is only presence once: there is no need to make multiple notes of mislinks or misspellings.
* Note 2: only synonyms at species level are provided.
Email me at [email protected] for the files and fill in the appropriate fields, and email them to me at [email protected]
I will upload latest versions as they are implemented.
[ sorry: SANBI emails not working - hopefully fixed on Thursday ]
The iSpot database is migrating to the southern African Taxonomic Backbone, and will be handed over to SANBI later this year. So this will be our national list of animals - (plants and fungi are already on Brahms).