Location features updated
Location features updated - Chile : If you haven't noticed yet, we've updated the location features of the site. You'll now find a tab in your 'My Spot' area called map this has replaced the location tab and is a map showing all your observations by location. If you've made multiple observa
If you haven't noticed yet, we've updated the location features of the site. You'll now find a tab in your 'My Spot' area called map this has replaced the location tab and is a map showing all your observations by location. If you've made multiple observations at the same place then you'll see an orange pin with the iSpot logo on. Clicking on this will give you a list of all you observations at that location.
The way you view locations on individual observations has also now changed. When you click on the location you'll now be given a popup map showing the location marked with a pin.
The other major change you'll notice is when you come to add an observation. We've changed the layout of the form to try and make it easier for you to fill out but we've also added several features around the location.
- We've added two new ways of searching for a location that can both be found by clicking the 'use map' button.
- searching by name - this will try and help you as you type, then take you to the location you choose.
- OS grid reference - this allows you to enter a valid OS grid ref, then takes you to that location.
- You can still use your previous locations, simply start typing the name into the location title and a dropdown box will appear with possible matches from your previous locations. Select one of these to have the locations details filled in.
- Tick the 'Hide precise location' box to make sure other users won't see the exact location you're adding. If the location is within the OS grid reference system then this will show on the map as a 1km OS grid square.
- Automatic location recognition from photos. If you upload an image that has location information attached this will be picked up and added to your observation form if you haven't already filled it in.
- Title and date automatically added. This same principal is also used for the observation title and date observed, which will be added from an uploaded photo.
We hope these new features will make you life easier when you come to adding your observations and give a better experience when viewing observations.
This is the first step in a process of enhancing the location features offered by the site and you can expect to see more features added in the future.