Development update no. 7

kevmcleod's picture

We have completed a number of tasks this week, though not as much on the bug fixing as we would have liked. We are currently testing things with a target of making these fixes live next Tuesday. Some of the fixes are particularly around performance - this doesn't fix all performance as there are still issues with contention and some slow queries.

What has been completed this week

  • We have had some intermittent downtime over the last few weeks which was manifested as an "NginX 502 error". We've traced the source of the problem and have applied a fix to the live server (completed - live)
  • While investigating the above, we identified and fixed an issue where the database was being locked for a period of time each night (3:15am - 3:35am) whilst backups were taking place (completed - live, though a further update to this next week)
  • Further optimised all our PNG graphics resources to reduce volume of data sent to your browser (completed - live)
  • Compressed Javascript and JSON resources to reduce volume of data sent to your browser (completed - live)
  • Updated the web server configuration to add caching headers for fonts; your browser should now cache these rather than downloading them each time (completed - live)
  • Fixed some minor issues with the “Please wait” spinner on the add/ edit observation wizard e.g. positioning on the page (partially completed - should go live on Tuesday 10th March)
  • Fixed broken interactions functionality. This has been a significant piece of work but has been completed (in testing - should go live on Tuesday 10th March)
  • Fixed "pink" observations being displayed in species dictionary and taxonomy search (in testing - should go live on Tuesday 10th March)
  • Fixed minor issue with profile image when using Spanish language. (completed - will go live on Tuesday 10th)
  • As a result of not being able to migrate to MySQL 5.7 we identified some workarounds which would reduce contention on the database when using geo tables and improve responsiveness (completed - in testing)
  • Continue testing OU network performance enhancements provided through central IT department - we've asked for some additional settings to be enabled (in progress).
  • Investigate and fix why indexes for projects are not refreshing - We haven't identified the source of the issue yet (in progress).
  • Fix issue with Southern Africa localities not working post-migration. We’re looking at a way to do this with minimal or no down-time - we didn't get to this as the interactions work took longer than estimated (in progress).

What will happen next week

  • Fix some minor issues with the “Please wait” spinner on the add/ edit observation wizard i.e. only enables for first image upload.
  • Fix issue with Southern Africa localities not working post-migration. We’re looking at a way to do this with minimal or no down-time (in progress).
  • Investigate and fix why indexes for projects are not refreshing (in progress).
  • Fix issue with "Http=0" error appearing during lookups when adding an observation
  • Investigate and fix "other observation" carousel giving inconsistent results e.g. no results on some observations
  • Security updates to 3rd party 'views' module.
  • Continue testing OU network performance enhancements provided through central IT department (in progress).