hazzeryoda's picture

Please confirm these fungi before I poison everyone!

Observed: 8th September 2013 By: hazzeryoda

Caution: Do NOT use iSpot to identify fungi to eat!

Some fungi are very poisonous so a mistaken ID could have serious consequences.

Species interactions

No interactions present.


Blewit Boy's picture

You are advised...

You are advised NOT to use ispot to confirm the identification of edible fungi.


Fly Agaric's picture


I also agree with Blewit boy on this post, sorry.

Fenwickfield's picture

Double agreement

It is very hard to confirm an identification by photo alone and ispot is not for identifying fungi so you can eat them.If your wanting to eat fungi I suggest you join a proper fungi foraying group were there are professional micoogist's but this is a rather tricky subject about eating them as so agree and some don't as we are taking to many when out on foray's I personally disagree with collection for consumption and prefer to conserve them and record them on the national fungi data base
Here endith the lesson


hazzeryoda's picture

Fair enough. Advice

Fair enough. Advice understood. Have run them past my foray leading friend who concluded C. cibarius. The site was in a reasonably inaccessible private forest in the Scottish highlands and literally tonnes were left so am fairly happy with taking this tiny proportion.

AlanS's picture

Danger of Death

To the poster:

Others have already pointed out that iSpot specifically forbids using iSpot to check IDs of fungi to be eaten. Another, longer existing, ID forum has zero tolerance to such posts and would probably have banned you.

This point has already been made, so I am really asking if you have checked every specimen to ensure none are young Cortinarius rubellus (= C. speciosissimus). Despite presence of a veil, C. rubellus can look very like a chanterelle in its young stages and it can be locally frequent in Highland forests. Get just one in the collection and we are talking hospitals, kidney transplants, or undertakers.

It featured in an infamous case several years ago when a group of young people were camping in the Highlands and one of the party collected C. rubellus thinking it was the chanterelle, and cooked a meal for the party. One did need a kidney transplant and the girl who prepared the meal suffered a nervous breakdown. Fatalities are frequent in northern Europe.

Just something to think about when running potential edibles past a friend.