Very poisonous, arable weed. Very long bracts readily distinguish this from other umbellifers
No interactions present.
Geoffrey Grigson in the Englishman's Flora: 'The fool's folly would hardly be fatal. its power may vary but it seldom does much harm either to man or his animals'. But I am not going to try it, and PLEASE don't try this at home, folks!
Just looked it up in Flora Britannica too. Mabey is non-committal about how poisonous it is, but does mention the 'nauseating' smell that would put you off if you tried to eat it.
Jamie from Briantspuddle
for that Jamie. The leaves contain a toxic compound called Cynopine. The symptoms are an alarming, intense heat in the mouth and throat and I agree, probably not fatal but not something I'd like to try!
Please see my Flickr photo's www.flickr.com/photos/129804972@N07/
Lat/Lng: 53.639753089459, -1.3114929199219
OS grid ref: SE456161