Matthew Davies's picture

Unknown mushroom (eaten by dog)

Observed: 17th June 2012 By: Matthew Davies
mushroom
Description:

This mushroom was found in our garden at the same time as our dog became very ill with liver disease. Could you possibly confirm the type of mushroom and whether it may be linked to the liver disease?

Identifications

No identification made yet.

Species interactions

No interactions present.

Comments

parad1se's picture

It isn't possible to give you

It isn't possible to give you a definite identification from this photo. However it looks very much like a Panaeolus (possibly Panaeolini foensecii, although this can only be determined under a microscope), otherwise known as a mottlegill.

They are very common at present in grassland and lawns after recent rain. The reference I have just checked notes it as a poisonous species, but not dangerously so. I have no idea what it would do to a dog.

In my experience it is very unlikely that a dog would eat it. Unlike us they can determine if something is edible from the smell.

However, there is no way of being certain either way, as far as I am aware. Sorry not to be more helpful.

Matthew Davies's picture

Thank you!

Thank you for your very fast response, and for trying your best with a poor photo!
It does look a lot like the other pictures of Panaeolini foensecii that I can find on the internet, so I think you must be right.

I really appreciate your help,
Thanks again.

Fenwickfield's picture

sample's

As paradise said you would have to send a sample off to be tested if it re appears you could send it to The Association of British Fungi. I would also say it is probably a coincident that your dog became ill as they don't normally eat fungi.I have dogs and neither touch any fungi and there dogs that eat all sort's of undesirable stuff when out.

Fenwickfield

AlanS's picture

I knew a dog ...

There was a couple who would bring a dog on meetings, a sort of soppy mostly-spaniel.

So we would discover a fungus, stand around it admiring it or discussing its identity or congratulating ourselves on finding such a fine example of such a rare thing.

And in the mind of the dog, anything attracting this amount of interest had to be edible. So there would be this flash of brown fur darting between our legs and said fungus would vanish before our eyes.

Surprisingly, said dog lived to a ripe old age, despite fungi and irate mycologists. Dogs seem to be pretty resilient.

Yes, I am sure the toadstool here is Panaeolina foenesecii, which contains hallucinogens, but is not listed as having any toxins that attack the liver. I agree it is unlikely to be the cause of the dog's illness. On the other hand, if it staggered around a lot and was suddenly into Pink Floyd ...

Alan