brycchan's picture

Unknown Fungus

Observed: 23rd April 2012 By: brycchan
S159 Neighbourhood Nature - course complete
Fungus from above
Fungus gills
Fungus stem

This fungus is growing in an old sink used for growing herbs in my back garden. The caps are about 4 - 5 cm across, and there are about 10 of them in the sink. The sink was filled last year with "Homebase Peat-free Organic Compost" which is made from wood chippings - so the spores could have arrived with that. I also wonder if it is safe to eat the parsley?


Caution: Do NOT use iSpot to identify fungi to eat!

Some fungi are very poisonous so a mistaken ID could have serious consequences.

Species interactions

No interactions present.


Fenwickfield's picture


Would it be possible for you to add some photo's of the stem and gill's to help with id.As for the parsley they will not effect it but just wash it before use like you would normally do.


brycchan's picture

Hi - if you click on the

Hi - if you click on the right hand photo it will bring up a larger version in which you can see the gills clearly. I'll try to add a stem photo tomorrow. Thanks!

brycchan's picture

Stem photo added

I hope that gives you enough to go on!

brycchan's picture


I've had a sniff and I can't detect any smell at all. Looking in my fungus guide after your suggestion, the closest appears to be Grey Tricholoma (Tricholoma terreum) but the book also notes there are several similar species and that T. terreum fruits in the autumn, not the spring. Anyway, thanks for the help!

Amadan's picture

The parsley -

Is certainly safe to eat unless you handle the fungi (if it is toxic) and don't wash before picking the parsley. The most poisonous fungi are only dangerous if ingested directly as far as I can ascertain.
A lot of processed bark is not native in origin, so it can be tricky to identify fungi associated with it.