pjd9's picture

My dog eat one of these and got really ill

Observed: 20th November 2011 By: pjd9pjd9’s reputation in Fungi and Lichens
DSCF1549
DSCF1550
DSCF1551
DSCF1554
DSCF1556
Description:

My dog eat one of these and got really ill. Foaming at the mouth, and diarrhoea. The vet said she was badly dehydrated and put her on a drip.
For identification, the closest I can find is http://www.aranzadi-zientziak.org/micologia/c
I can't find any information on the its poisonous effects and I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Identifications

Caution: Do NOT use iSpot to identify fungi to eat!

Some fungi are very poisonous so a mistaken ID could have serious consequences.

Species interactions

No interactions present.

Comments

Fenwickfield's picture

Edible

They are edible not harmful but that is humans,ID am surprised at your dog eating one as I have been a dog owner for over 40 years and they have a natural instinct for what not to eat.The only time i have had one of my dog's foaming at the mouth was when bitten by an adder but was taken to the vet quickly and recovered,so could be something else.

Fenwickfield

garrymcc's picture

has your dog recovered?

hope your dog is OK

pjd9's picture

Fully Recovered

The dog has made a full recovery thanks. She was really ill with salivation, diarrhoea, and abdominal muscle spasms. The vet gave her morphine and put her on a drip and said that if we had not reacted quickly she would have died of severe dehydration.

I’ve been looking on various canine blogs and forums and learnt of someone whose dog ate mushrooms all the time never got ill. Another ate a mushroom in the back garden and died of kidney failure. Lots of puppies eat them and don’t come to any harm.

The Shaggy Parasol, although edible, may cause gastric upset if eaten raw or undercooked. This is in humans and I don’t know how it might affect a dog. Also, the effects may be different from one dog to another, like some sort of allergic reaction. She had definitely eaten a mushroom – the evidence was in the poo.