DavidHowdon's picture

Autocomplete feature?

Has something changed in the way iSpot deals with autocompleting names. On a few occasions now I have entered a name and then had it change to a similar name before clicking agree.

Once or twice could have been just incompetence on my part but I think there is something going on.

On a recent entry of a small scallop moth I entered "Small Scallop" into the English field and clicked Get recommended to get the scientific name. This worked.
I went on the enter the rest of the data but just before clicking send I checked the English name field and it had changed to Small Scabious (a plant?).

Now given it could not have go the correct scientific name if I had just accidentally selected the wrong English name from the drop down it must have changed after I had accepted the scientific name and moved on.

Any idea what is causing it?

Reply

Comments

richard's picture

More info please

Hi David,

could you let me know what browser type and version you're using please so we can look into this.

We have recently made some small changes to the get recommended function so this may have introduced something.

Thanks

Richard G - iSpot technical team

DavidHowdon's picture

Versions

Firefox 5.0

Addons that may be relevant.

NoScript 2.1.2.5rc1 (iSpot exceptioned to allow java and javascript)

JavaConsole 6.0.26

Valerie Harrison's picture

Wrong names

I have had several postings now that the English names have been changed on. Twin spot carpet changed to Striped twin spot carpet, Bright line brown eye was changed to Bright green pond weed and True lovers knot was changed to True Tits! On each occasion the latin name that iSpot suggested remained correct, so it was nothing to do with me clicking the wrong item and they are fictional names anyway. I have reported to iSpot and they say they are looking into. By the way, I am also using Firefox, but not yet upgraded to 5.

Valerie
Wildforms
Gardening for Wildlife
www.wildforms.co.uk
wildforms.blogspot.com

Valerie Harrison's picture

Wrong names

I also should have mentioned that I first noticed this on 29th July and it is still happening today.

Valerie
Wildforms
Gardening for Wildlife
www.wildforms.co.uk
wildforms.blogspot.com

anonymous spotter's picture

I had to delete and repost -

the Blackbird and fledgling, because iSPot changed the name.
I entered "Blackbird", clicked "Get Recommended", and T. merula was inserted. But when I saved, the English name changed to "Blackberry Looper". The systematic name was preserved.
I use Firefox, by the way.

richard's picture

This should now be fixed

This was a strange one and didn't seem to be related to the recent changes that had been made, anyway it should now be fixed.

Apologies for any annoyance caused and please let us know if you continue to experience problems.

Richard G - iSpot technical team

DavidHowdon's picture

Thanks

Thanks for addressing it so rapidly - the iSpot team being impressive as usual.

Valerie Harrison's picture

Thanks also

Glad its fixed, will report any further problems.

Valerie
Wildforms
Gardening for Wildlife
www.wildforms.co.uk
wildforms.blogspot.com