Anna's picture

The Prince

Observed: 25th November 2009 By: Anna
S159 Neighbourhood Nature - current student
Anna’s reputation in Fungi and LichensAnna’s reputation in Fungi and Lichens
DSCF0123
Description:

Growing at the edge of mixed woodland. The smallest was about 10cm. Cap and stem bruised yellow.

Identifications

Caution: Do NOT use iSpot to identify fungi to eat!

Some fungi are very poisonous so a mistaken ID could have serious consequences.

Species interactions

No interactions present.

Comments

Blewit Boy's picture

Dapperling danger!!!

The Prince can also be easily be confused with some of the Dapperlings (Lepiota species), some of which are poisonous or of unknown edibility. So make sure you're 100% sure of you're identification before eating it. Just a friendly warning.

chris

miked's picture

This does look a bit like

This does look a bit like Agaricus augustus but not sure we could say from this photo alone. Did you smell it, it can smell so good that its very tempting to eat right there! (not that I am suggesting you do and of course you do need to be careful as chris suggests).

Anna's picture

I did smell them, and they

I did smell them, and they did smell good enough to eat right there! (However I never eat raw wild mushrooms, I know some can be dodgy if not thoroughly cooked.) I was 90% sure where I found them, so brought a few home to have a closer look at with more books, and then I was 100% sure. They were delicious! (Don't worry, I don't take any chances, if there's any doubt whatsoever I don't eat them. I've never come a cropper yet, and have probably discarded some potentially really good dinners!)

The photo doesn't really show the size very well, but they were too big to be dapperlings. They ranged between about 10-20cm, and fitted all the descriptions and pictures I could find. Thanks for your warnings, you're absolutely right.

PS A word of warning for anyone thinking of looking for wild mushrooms and eating them: there are some extremely dangerous mushrooms out there. In fact there are times when 50% of the mushrooms I find are poisonous, so get some practice with identification before you eat anything, and refer to as many different sources as you can. Read the warnings in the books, and learn to recognise the poisonous ones as well as the edible ones. There is no magic test to find out if they are edible, the only way to know is to identify them.

cooperj's picture

agree no augustus

I also agree from the size of the caps relative to the oak leaves in the picture and the cap shape that these look more like Lepiota (with white spores) or even possibly one of the larger Incocybe's. And even if Agaricus then possibly not A. augustus.

Jerry C

Anna's picture

The spore print came out

The spore print came out brown, so definitely not Lepiota.